$49 and $99 guitars at Music123
rocketman
2007-03-15 02:40:23 UTC
Music123 is blowing out guitars, basses and mandolins for $49:

http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=541

They also have better-quality guitars and basses at $99:

http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=544

Rumor has it that Guitar Center bought Music123. Looks like they're
liquidating the house brand (Fullerton) instruments. Online reviews say the
tone and build quality of the Fullerton guitars is excellent, so don't let
the price fool you.

I thought you might want to know about this sale. I am not affiliated with
Music123 in any way (just a recent customer). I bought 3 guitars, including
a sweet mahogany bass with active pickups for $99.
Guitarismo
2007-03-15 13:17:40 UTC
Post by rocketman
http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=541
http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=544
Rumor has it that Guitar Center bought Music123. Looks like they're
liquidating the house brand (Fullerton) instruments. Online reviews say the
tone and build quality of the Fullerton guitars is excellent, so don't let
the price fool you.
I thought you might want to know about this sale. I am not affiliated with
Music123 in any way (just a recent customer). I bought 3 guitars, including
a sweet mahogany bass with active pickups for $99.
Wow I am very tempted to buy the A-Mandolin...at 49.99$ it seems like
a great deal...! I want to learn the mandolin but I don't one to learn
on a piece of crap that will fall into pieces... anyone know the
quality of this instrument?

Thanks
booke63
2007-03-15 16:02:23 UTC
Post by Guitarismo
Post by rocketman
http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=541
http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=544
Rumor has it that Guitar Center bought Music123. Looks like they're
liquidating the house brand (Fullerton) instruments. Online reviews say the
tone and build quality of the Fullerton guitars is excellent, so don't let
the price fool you.
I thought you might want to know about this sale. I am not affiliated with
Music123 in any way (just a recent customer). I bought 3 guitars, including
a sweet mahogany bass with active pickups for $99.
Wow I am very tempted to buy the A-Mandolin...at 49.99$ it seems like
a great deal...! I want to learn the mandolin but I don't one to learn
on a piece of crap that will fall into pieces... anyone know the
quality of this instrument?
Thanks- Hide quoted text -
I guess I can tell you in a week or two. I bought one. I figure if
it's at least playable, and I play it enough that it falls apart, I'll
have had my $50's worth. If it's unplayable, I can use it for a
decoration at least.

Thanks
Nil
2007-03-15 17:52:22 UTC
Post by booke63
I guess I can tell you in a week or two. I bought one. I figure
if it's at least playable, and I play it enough that it falls
apart, I'll have had my $50's worth. If it's unplayable, I can
use it for a decoration at least.
Please let us know that you even receive it. There have been many
horror stories over the past few years about Music123 never shipping
orders, not responding to inquiries, etc. etc. I'd think that doing
business with them right now would especially dicey.

Good luck.
rocketman
2007-03-15 21:16:39 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by booke63
I guess I can tell you in a week or two. I bought one. I figure
if it's at least playable, and I play it enough that it falls
apart, I'll have had my $50's worth. If it's unplayable, I can
use it for a decoration at least.
Please let us know that you even receive it. There have been many
horror stories over the past few years about Music123 never shipping
orders, not responding to inquiries, etc. etc. I'd think that doing
business with them right now would especially dicey.
Good luck.
Though I did receive 2 of the 3 guitars I ordered (so far), Music123 didn't
impress me much. Their CS reps appear to be making up stories, since I
received 3 conflicting answers to the same simple question regarding my
order. Hopefully, my experience is just a product of confusion produced by
the flurry of sales, and not SOP.
Jim White
2007-03-23 16:15:51 UTC
I just got my 49 dollar guitar. The neck is bowed so bad that the
strings which are rusted are laying flat on the fretboard. It will now
cost me another 50 for a setup. Piece of crap so far....need to decide
whether to return or get it setup to save the hassle of returning.
DaLe EvAnS
Ya gets what ya pays for........sorry to hear that.
Jim
2007-03-23 19:19:50 UTC
Post by Jim White
I just got my 49 dollar guitar. The neck is bowed so bad that the
strings which are rusted are laying flat on the fretboard. It will now
cost me another 50 for a setup. Piece of crap so far....need to decide
whether to return or get it setup to save the hassle of returning.
Ask for a replacement.
Post by Jim White
rocketman
2007-03-24 02:02:41 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Jim White
I just got my 49 dollar guitar. The neck is bowed so bad that the
strings which are rusted are laying flat on the fretboard. It will now
cost me another 50 for a setup. Piece of crap so far....need to decide
whether to return or get it setup to save the hassle of returning.
Ask for a replacement.
Good idea. I tried that, and the replacement guitar was very nice. But
it's a crap shoot. They aren't setting up these guitars at the Music123
warehouse before shipping (they still have the factory paper and foam
wrapping on them), so the defective ones are getting shipped out. I don't
mind filing down sharp frets and adjusting the bridge and truss rod; but
warped necks are not fixable. Music123 has been good about returns, so far.
Post by Jim
Post by Jim White
rocketman
2007-03-24 01:54:48 UTC
Post by Jim White
I just got my 49 dollar guitar. The neck is bowed so bad that the
strings which are rusted are laying flat on the fretboard. It will now
cost me another 50 for a setup. Piece of crap so far....need to decide
whether to return or get it setup to save the hassle of returning.
Jim, I had a similar experience. Out of the 4 sale-priced guitars that I
ordered, 3 of them had noticeable neck defects that affected playability.
Since some people are receiving excellent guitars, I figured there was a
significant chance of getting a good one. If not, well, they do accept
returns (and they pay return shipping for defective units). It's a shame,
really, because every one of the guitars sounds great. If I could guarantee
getting a good one, I'd order 5 more; but I think I'm done for now.

The neck on my Fullerton FW-35N acoustic is slightly warped. Playing open
strings sounds beautiful; but the action is too low, even after adjusting
the truss rod. Fret height is slightly uneven from side-to-side and
end-to-end (warped/wavy neck), so I think this one is going back. Too bad,
because I'm happy with it otherwise...

The one functionally-flawless guitar that I received - a Fullerton Ventura
Deluxe Ash 4-string Bass - is a prize. It has active pickups, producing a
hot signal and a deep, warm sound. The long, slender neck is extremely fast
and fun to play. I was drooling over nearly identical basses made by Ibanez
SDGR/Soundgear that were $900 and up. Finding this bass for $99 was worth
all of the effort.

If you find a good deal on a better guitar, let us know. I guess I'm still
in the market for a good, cheap acoustic.
Post by Jim White
jthread
2007-03-24 19:09:33 UTC
Post by rocketman
If you find a good deal on a better guitar, let us know. I guess I'm still
in the market for a good, cheap acoustic.
Look at Yamaha. Costco was selling one for $150. I adjusted the bridge down
a little and now it's a great sounding great playing acoustic.

Most of these imports will need adjusting.
Jim White
2007-06-10 19:51:31 UTC
I forgot about this posting. I sent it back and they quickly gave me
my money back. I bought a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo Rustic. Great
guitar for the price. Beautiful color. Low action and super easy to
play unlike most accustics I try. This is a new model for them and the
way the curves fit into my lap MUCH better that the "normal" shape.
Angles the fretboard just slightly toward me making it easier to see
and play (I am a newbie so to speak). Would recommend this for people
starting out. I have tried a few, but cost 350 which is very cheap
comparatively, but not the $49 out of your pocketbook. Now all I have
to do is take an axe and cut off that stupid looking headstock they
put on their guitars and I will be content...........:)
b***@hotmail.com
2007-06-14 04:56:04 UTC
Post by jthread
Post by rocketman
If you find a good deal on a better guitar, let us know. I guess I'm still
in the market for a good, cheap acoustic.
Look at Yamaha. Costco was selling one for $150. I adjusted the bridge down
a little and now it's a great sounding great playing acoustic.
Most of these imports will need adjusting.
Got one of the few remaining lefty Fullerton Strat Packs for $49 last
week. Took it in to Elderly Instruments in town. Told the tech this is
my first guitar and I know it's an el-cheapo. I said if the strings
are not suitable for a beginner then change them out. Ditto for the
strap - if not good enough, replace. He said both were OK. So I'm
getting a set-up and fret ends, should be between $36 and $48. Next
week I start. If it ends up I just can't learn to play, I can dump it
for what I've got into it. Since I play blues harp, I've already got a
few tube amps - I'll dump the included 10w SS amp.

jtees4
Anyone know how playable those $49 basses are?
rocketman
2007-03-15 18:33:03 UTC
Post by rocketman
http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=541
http://www.music123.com/CustomLists/CustomListDisplay.aspx?lid=544
<snip>

Two guitars from Music123 just arrived. Here's a quick quality assessment:

Fullerton ST4 "Fat Strat" style 6-String Guitar (silver) $49.99
Inspection/setup check sheet in the box. Build quality is sub-par. The
neck has a visible bump on the E-string side at about the 16th fret; but
still playable. All of the frets are sharp, requiring extensive filing.
Hardware and components are decent quality. The finish has a few minor
imperfections. Pickup mounting holes are sloppy (looks like they installed
the wrong pickups).

If I didn't already have a nicer guitar, I'd file down the frets and keep
it. But I think I'm sending this one back.

Fullerton Ventura DC4 Deluxe Mahogany 4-String Bass $99.99
Inspection/setup check sheet in the box. Build quality is excellent.
Beautiful high-polish brass hardware throughout. Huge active PFR-style
humbucker pickups. Maple/rosewood neck is straight with a few slightly sharp
frets. Tuners have smooth action, no slop. Four solid brass bridges, like
these:
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=224

This Fullerton bass is very similar to an Ibanez SR1000 that lists for
$1,599.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR1000EFM

Fullerton makes a thru-neck version identical to the Ibanez. They could be
made in the same factory.
rocketman
2007-03-15 21:08:00 UTC
Post by rocketman
Post by rocketman
[...]
Ok, update number two:

The Fullerton Ventura bass is generally very nice; but later I noticed that
the neck is twisted noticeably. Is the neck twist a show stopper? Not sure
yet. Probably. I assume there's no easy way to fix that. Any ideas?

I filed down the sharp frets on the Fullerton Fat Strat using a small
triangular file, being careful not to nick the edge of the fretboard (but
hey, it's a $49 guitar). I tweaked the truss rod to try to dial-out the
slight neck curvature (didn't work). The action needs a little tweaking yet;
but it plays very nice and sounds great. It's strung with super light gauge
strings. Not bad.
FLY135
2007-03-23 17:55:23 UTC
My Fullerton strat will be here Monday. I have no problem adjusting
the neck and filing the frets but I hope the neck isn't warped. Oh
well, play it and if it's crap I dump it on Craigslist at a $10-$15
loss. A least it will be setup as well as possible. Guess I'm
gambling for a decent one.
rocketman
2007-03-24 02:09:39 UTC
Post by FLY135
My Fullerton strat will be here Monday. I have no problem adjusting
the neck and filing the frets but I hope the neck isn't warped. Oh
well, play it and if it's crap I dump it on Craigslist at a $10-$15
loss. A least it will be setup as well as possible. Guess I'm
gambling for a decent one.
I got one of the ST4 "Fat Strats" in silver. It's a great looking, great
sounding guitar with crazy sustain; but it won't stay in tune and the neck
is a bit warped on the low side. The nut has some defects - just enough to
mess up intonation and playability. This one is getting sent back,
regrettably, because of the neck. If the neck was straight, this would
definitely be a keeper. I may ask for a replacement, just to see if I can
get a straight one.

If the neck is warped on your Strat, call Music123 and get a return
authorization. They'll pay for return shipping. You're out nothing. If it
turns out to be a good guitar, you got a great deal. That's my rationale.
Hope it works out for you.

(Let me reiterate: I am *not* affiliated with Music123, except as a
customer.)
FLY135
2007-03-26 20:41:38 UTC
Just got my Fullerton strat. I got it at work so only had time to
give a look. The neck looks fine. The fret ends are smooth. The
whole guitar looks cherry. The truss rod was completely loose so I
tightened it up and I'm going to tune the guitar later and give it a
play. I think it's going to be fine.
rocketman
2007-03-31 13:25:39 UTC
Post by FLY135
Just got my Fullerton strat. I got it at work so only had time to
give a look. The neck looks fine. The fret ends are smooth. The
whole guitar looks cherry. The truss rod was completely loose so I
tightened it up and I'm going to tune the guitar later and give it a
play. I think it's going to be fine.
Very glad to hear that your Fullerton strat was a good one. Which color did
you end up with?

During this sale, I have ordered 5 Fullerton guitars from Music123; and
only 3 of them are what I would call acceptable. Only 2 of 5 are good
enough to be "keepers," and that's because I'm not being picky about finish
details (in which case I would be keeping only 1 out of 5). I'm still
deciding about the ST-4 "fat" Strat copy. It sounds great, plays great, and
looks slick; but the visible warping of the neck is not making me happy.

I ordered 2 of the Fullerton FSW-35 acoustic guitars, one black and one
natural finish. They sound beautiful. The natural finish one has a
slightly warped neck causing poor intonation and string buzz on several
frets. The black one, which I just received this week, has a few finish
problems (sloppy glue residue around the sound hole). I had to loosen the
truss rod to stop some buzzing; but intonation is spot-on for all 6 strings.
These Fullerton acoustics are *loud*, with a punchy, bright tone - just like
the online reviews said. If you get a good one, they're an incredible
bargain, IMO.

All in all, I can't complain. After the returns, I'll have spent $150 total
on a deluxe 4-string bass (with active pickups) and a very nice dreadnought
acoustic, shipping included. Can't beat that!
FLY135
2007-03-31 16:00:38 UTC
Post by rocketman
Post by FLY135
Just got my Fullerton strat. I got it at work so only had time to
give a look. The neck looks fine. The fret ends are smooth. The
whole guitar looks cherry. The truss rod was completely loose so I
tightened it up and I'm going to tune the guitar later and give it a
play. I think it's going to be fine.
Very glad to hear that your Fullerton strat was a good one. Which color did
you end up with?
I bought the sunburst model. After adjusting the string height on the
bridge, truss rod, and intonation I can't really complain. The only
issue I have is the frets are half round and I'm having to adjust to
the height of the frets. I'm used to flatter shaped frets.